If you are homeless, you can now receive: 

  • A free copy of your California birth certificate

  • A free California photo ID card

Step 1: Contact your local emergency shelter or county human services office and let them know you would like a “birth certificate fee waiver” and/or a “No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification”.

Step 2: Go to the service provider recommended by your local emergency shelter or county human services office to sign an “Affidavit of Homeless Status” that verifies you are experiencing homelessness.

Step 3: If you are in the county in which you were born, take your signed Affidavit to the County Recorder’s Office if you need a birth certificate, or go to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if you need a photo ID.

To find out more about how to proceed, go to: http://www.housingca.org/#!freebirthrecordsids/cwgq or http://www.housingca.org/#!photo-id-how-to-sps/tq6io

Back to Online Homeless Resource Guide Listings